Gluten is used in baking bread, pizza, and other dough-made products that provide dough elasticity in order to rise as well as keep its shape. It is also a component of cosmetic products and hair products.
It is used in several varieties due to its harmless and non-toxic property. However, a number of individuals of different ages are sensitive to gluten. At least 5 to ten percent of the population has gluten sensitivity according to some researches. It affects almost all organs of their body like the skin, nervous system, joints, endocrine system as well as the abdomen. But the most common system of the body affected by gluten is the intestines.
Many studies about the different cause and effects of gluten to human body were done and now, gluten allergy is classified into five different types.
- The most common type of gluten allergy is the Celiac disease. When gluten is taken in, it affects the body by causing immune systems to destroy protective linings of the small intestine. For this reason, the absorbed nutrients and proteins are spilled out and the person feels severe pain.
- Gluten ataxia is characterized by experiences of brain fog. This is because the immune system is triggered to attack the cells of the brain as if they are harmful foreign substances. It is one of the most dangerous effects of gluten allergy.
- Dermatitis herpetiformis is the mildest form of gluten allergy. Manifestations of rash throughout the surface of the skin of arms, back, neck, and legs are observed. However in some cases, this mild form of allergy can also lead to formation of other types of allergy if not treated immediately.
- A wheat allergy is basically called as a true allergy. It is often caused by several components of wheat and not only gliadin.
Cause and effects
Gulten affects the body differently depending on the person’s genetic structure that causes his sensitivity. It can cause problems on the breathing processes since the linings of lung scan can be damaged. Accumulation of gluten can also cause development of thyroid diseases.
Gliadin is one component of gluten that causes intestinal problems. After a gluten-sensitive individual accidentally eat food that contains gluten. When the food is digested in the stomach, substances like protein, nutrients and gliadin are absorbed by the walls of the abdomen and intestine. It penetrates deep into the cell causing intestinal pains.
According to other researches, gliadin can also attach to certain receptors that can cause the disruption of tight junctions of the intestine which are important since they function to preventing leakage of substances from cell to cell. Because of this, food proteins escape from the intestine to other parts of the body causing several problems.
Signs and symptoms
Sensitivity to gluten components does not only involve appearance rashes and lesions on surfaces of skin but also other parts of the body. According to the studies of some gluten allergy cases, some individuals exhibit pain on several parts of the body after ingesting food with components of gluten.
- Skin rashes with itching and burning sensations.
- Joint pain and muscle pain
- Feelings of exhaustion on simple activities.
- For severe cases, extreme pain sensations on the stomach region and gradual headaches.
- For infants, diaper rash and diarrhea can also be symptoms of gluten sensitivity.
- Thyroid diseases
Gluten allergy can be prevented by avoiding certain kinds of food that can trigger the occurrence of allergy. Self discipline is also an important key in order to keep away from this condition.
- Checkout or create a list of food products that does not contain gluten.
- There are several gluten-free food products in the market these days and since bread is an important source of energy, buy one that is gluten-free.
- If a member of your family is sensitive to gluten, prepare foods that are naturally free of gluten like fish, vegetables, fruits, and meat.
- Avoid drinking beverages that are made from malt. It is a substance made form grain that contains gluten.
- Lactating mothers who have gluten sensitive infants must avoid eating or drinking food and drinks with gluten.
Incoming search terms:
- gluten allergy rash
- gluten and diaper rash