A Rash Can Occur From An Allergic Reaction. What causes it? Is often asked when somebody notices some redness or red patches around the skin.
Normally, when the body is exposed to antigen (a substance that is considered as alien by the body), the immune system is triggered to protect the body from it. However, not all antigen are harmful to the body thus, when the immune system reacts to such antigen, it causes a reaction which known as allergic reaction.
Skin rashes can be commonly seen if an allergic person is exposed to allergens. However, not all rashes are caused by allergic reaction as it can also be an identification of a systemic infection.
Allergic reaction rash comes in several types but signs and symptoms are almost the same. Types of allergic rash include:
- Contact Dermatitis
- Contact dermatitis produces an allergic reaction rash if you came in contact with substances that you are allergic to. Redness, small blisters, swelling maybe noted in the rash. Also, it is the most common allergic reaction rash.
- Atopic Dermatitis
- Although it is also a common form of allergic reaction rash, it can be a lifetime rash. It is medically known as Eczema.
- Urticarial Rash
- Characterized by tiny, reddish and very itchy bumps. It is known as Hives in layman’s term.
Moreover, causes of allergic reaction rash depend on a person’s response to a certain substance. In other words, you may be allergic to substances that your friend is allergic to. Or your friend’s body doesn’t react to things that you are allergic to.
But there are just some things that causes an allergic reaction rash to significant population, some of these things are:
- People who are allergic to latex might experience rashes on parts exposed to it. For instance, if a doctor is wearing latex gloves during examination, a rash may appear on areas he/she touched.
- Although food is very much appealing to the stomach, an individual can be allergic to a specific type. Delicious it may be, many people are allergic to these foods:
- Dairy products like milk and cheese
- People who are sensitive to drugs and medicines can acquire allergic reaction rash if they are exposed or have ingested drugs they are allergic to. These drugs are commonly known as allergens to several people:
- Skin Products
- Skin products may contain substances that are not compatible with your body system. Actually, there are individuals that response well to certain brands but get skin rash to another. Also, using expired skin products will surely give you rashes.
- Exposure to chemicals
- Exposures to harsh chemicals can allergic reactions leading to skin rashes. Some chemicals that can produce rash are household items like:
- Fabric detergent
- Insect bites
- An insect bite is not only itchy but can cause an allergic reaction rash if your skin is sensitive to it. Bed bugs, bee stings, mite bites or even mosquito bites can trigger rash.
- Poison Ivy, Oak, poison sumac
- An allergic rash may develop if you are exposed to poison ivy, oak and poison sumac as a huge number of US population are allergic to them.
- Allergies can also run in the blood so, if your mother is allergic to a certain product, most likely, you are too.
Allergic reaction rash is not really a severe condition but the occurrence should be given attention because it is signaling that something not right is going on with your body.
To easily determine what causes your skin rash, simply think what new stuff that you have been recently exposed to. Say, you tried a certain lotion brand that you haven’t tried before, and then you notice a rash few days or hours after. It might be that such product contains something that your body considers as an antigen.
Treatment of allergic reaction rash is not very complicated as it can be treated with over the counter creams however, to ensure proper medication, it is best to consult a dermatologist.